Saturday, April 7, 2007

Still waiting...

On 3rd April 2007 (At 2am)
Midwife came in to check on me. She said I was doing very well, dilated to about 4cm.

(At 4 am)
Dr Julianah came to the delivery suite. Baby’s heart beat has dropped and she had been notified. I was administered oxygen to help improve the situation. Indeed it was really helpful. She checked me and we were glad that I was already 7-8cm dilated. She was very confident that I will be fully dilated by morning (7am)

Despite having epidural, I could still feel the contractions. They were relatively bearable. Midwives advised me not to increase the dosage as it would numb my legs further and would not be very helpful in the pushing later on.

(At 7.45 am)
Dr. Julianah FINALLY arrived. The contractions were excruciating as the midwives shut off the epidural. Slightly before 8am, she quickly geared up and we started trying to push to get the baby out. It was a very memorable experience. I’m really glad that Mark was next to me. His encouragement, telling me each time he could see the baby’s head, really keeps me going. In less than 20 mins, Gabriel was delivered at 8.12am.



He weighed 3.625kg and measured 51cm. A big baby indeed!

I’m glad that everything is over.

Mark and I were overjoyed to hear his cries…… after such a long wait…. 39 weeks and 4 days…. Wonder what Gabriel would weigh at full term 40 weeks? Hmmmm… glad I didn’t wait that long.


After they clean him up, he was placed by my side to be latched on. It was a very successful attempt. Thank GOD for that!


I was transferred to the 2-bedder ward (4401) by 10am and I spent the next few minutes messaging friends to inform them of Gabriel’s arrival.

I remembered asking for food. My last meal was 6pm the day before and it has been more than 24 hours!!
Finally they served my lunch at 12.30pm. just as I was happily enjoying my meal, they brought baby Gabriel to me!!! Well, filling my stomach is definitely more important! After I gobbled down my food, quickly carried Gabriel to my side. It is really an amazing feeling that I’m already a Mom!

No comments: